Friday, July 29, 2005

A Long Walk Home

Well, I haven't felt like posting in quite some time -- either too busy or too weary. But I feel tonight as though I must. Summer school has really ended, and I am wearing the dress to prove it. That is, we had a special dinner this evening where we all dressed up and the Shakespeare director, Sean Connery (aka Dr. Charles Moseley) spoke. This is his last year with the Summer School, I am afraid, and I find that quite said because he is so cute and sweet and knowledgable and well spoken. Not necessarily in that order.

I have apparently made quite a few friends during this time, which is good for me -- more friends than I ever made at CMU I think! I took lots of pictures, as did everyone else. Dinner was chicken wrapped in ham; very good. Also, walnut salad with egg, which I also enjoyed very much (even though mine came without the nuts). I had a good time. I couldn't decide who to sit with. I was walking in with some friends, so I felt obligated to sit with them and did, and then I got up and moved to sit with the older women because I just wanted to have dinner with them once more. Charmazel is from Texas and fricking hilarious, Ellen (from Canada) is very amusing in her serious way, and everyone else is enjoyable. I will miss having dinner with them quite a lot, now that I think about it.

I may be having a late night gathering in my room to watch Bridget Jones 2. FYI.

I have been reflecting, due to my Shakespeare and Memory class, which turned out to be extremely pleasant, on the life span of individuals and what is important to them. We were discussing how many people are buried under the walk blocks at the churches -- as in people were often buried underneath the ground nearest the spot they worshiped from. Not really aware of this but fascinated, I trekked to the nearest church and looked around outside the door. Sure enough, the ground cement was a veritable novel, filled with deaths from the 1800's. Crazy, I say.

On another note, we also discussed in my course the way people then went to court like we did (not suprising), and for this reason there are records of gifts given between people. Such as listings of gloves, ribbons, etc.

And, just like now, for what? The people are under the church floor, and hundreds of years have passed. So I say, whatever you want to do, find a way to do it and try not to let things hold you back or make you forget how short life is.

This is just my usual revelation that I like to have every month or so. It used to be on the drive home from CMU, now it's on the last night of Cambridge. So there you go.

With that said, I move onward from here and try not to feel too happy or too sad, but merely reflective. This was a really nice experience for me, and I'm glad I had it. I do miss Jeffrey very much, as well as my parents and my nephews and our friends, and I am always aware that I am missing moments with them. As long as I make it home, it will have been worth it.

If I get blown up on the tube, it was not worth it at all.
But that's another story.

Anyway, time for me to pack and go to London for a couple days, then to Bath for a couple days, then to Dartmoor to visit Dr. Kristen McDermott. Should be nice. Hope I don't let travelling alone keep me sitting in McDonalds sipping coffee for comfort until it's time to go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it spyware guide information meridia information online Winners choice equine topical pain relief